Many resolve to be healthy and make better food choices when a new year rolls around. But eating well doesn’t require you to miss out on taste. Read on to find flavorful new ideas that can keep you on track.
- Pasta: Looking to cut down your carb intake while upping fiber and nutrient content? You can’t go wrong with vegetable noodles made out of eggplant, zucchini, squash or carrots. You’ll lose none of the flavor and all of the guilt.
- Sauces: While you’re making that delicious pasta, decide on a healthy, flavorful sauce. How about a creamy mushroom alfredo sauce that’s lower in fat and cholesterol and gives you a boost of selenium and antioxidants? Or try a fresh pesto that requires just a few ingredients and a food processor.
- Asian cuisine: If you’re making healthier choices, you may have to skip the fried rice, but you don’t have to throw taste out the window. Make your own version with cauliflower, which serves as an excellent substitute for white rice. Lightly saute cauliflower rice with soy sauce and veggies, and enjoy! If you’re craving lo mein or Thai-style noodles, zucchini noodles with a spicy ginger peanut sauce may hit the spot.
- Tex-Mex queso: Instead of dipping into a bowl of melted cheese, try cashew queso. Before you knock this vegan version, consider the fact that it’s higher in protein, fiber and iron, and it’s just as delicious. All you need is a food processor or blender.
- Sweet treats: You don’t have to abandon dessert to be healthy. Substitute avocado puree for butter in baked goods, cinnamon for sugar in your coffee, or try delicious black bean brownies. Fresh berries with a side of local honey or a banana with almond butter make satisfying late-night snacks or desserts.
Need a Primary Care Doctor? We accept cash patients and participate in most major insurances including Medicare & Medicaid. Call today!
Teresa DiGiuseppe | Clinic Manager | West Valley Health & Wellness
Clinic (623) 806-1252
9744 W Northern Ave, Suite 1330 Peoria, AZ 85345